MSc in Dementia
The School of Nursing and Human Sciences DCU has two new streams running from September 2018:
- MSc in Dementia Health Care Practice - PAC Code DC764 - (Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma and Masters exit points)
- MSc in Dementia Nursing Practice - PAC Code DC763 - (Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma and Masters exit points)
This part-time programme, at level nine on the National Framework of Qualifications, allows students to obtain a Master degree in their chosen practice area over two years.
Students have the option to complete their Graduate Diploma or their Graduate Certificate in 18 months if they do not wish to continue to Masters. Students wishing to take a more flexible approach can complete the programme over four years.
Structure of the course
Using a flexible and blended mode of delivery, students engage in both face to face and virtual learning environments. In addition to seminars from multidisciplinary practitioners, students engage in group and simulated learning experiences that are further enhanced by practice learning. Students are allocated an academic and practice supervisor with expertise in their chosen practice area, who provides support, and guidance in developing and assessing a practice portfolio.
· Graduate Certificate students take three ten credit dementia-specific modules (1 per semester over 18 months) focusing on person-centred dementia care, therapeutic responses for people with dementia, and dementia and everyday ethics.
· Graduate Diploma and MSc students take the three ten credit dementia-specific modules (1 per semester) and three, core, ten credit modules (1 per semester) that focus on professional role development, leadership and collaboration, and research skills. This equates to two modules per semester over 18 months.
· In the final six months, MSc students take a core 30 credit module, which includes advanced research learning and the completion of a research dissertation.
Minimum entry requirements
A primary degree, with a minimum 2.2 grade, in a relevant discipline; a minimum of one year’s practical experience with three months experience in dementia care; minimum of 20 hours per week in dementia care. Applications are accepted on the PAC website at www.pac.ie/dcu
Find out more:
T +353 1 700 5947 or +353 1 700 8540